Juvenile Justice Advisory Group
The Juvenile Justice Advisory Group (JJAG) advises the state juvenile agency, provides active consultation to the government and private agencies, and ensures the provision of comprehensive delinquency prevention programs that meet the needs of youth through the collaboration of many local systems with which a youth may interface. Consistent with these provisions, the JJAG:
- Spearheads the development of the District's three-year statewide plan.
- Advises the Mayor and Legislature on compliance with core requirements of the Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (JJDP) Act.
- Obtains input from youth currently under the jurisdiction of the juvenile justice system.
- Reviews and comments on juvenile justice grant proposals.
- Assists in monitoring all juvenile detention and correction facilities and community-based programs to ensure compliance with the JJDP Act.
As a required by Title II, Part B, Section 223(a)(3) of the Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (OJJDP) Act of 1974, each state, US Territory and the District of Columbia that receives federal formula grants is required to establish a statewide advisory group. This statewide advisory group advises the Mayor, and where appropriate, other stakeholders on matters relevant to juvenile justice and delinquency prevention. Each statewide advisory group is required to report annually on the accomplishments throughout the year. Annual reports published by the JJAG highlight activities and system improvements as they relate to core requirements of the JJDP Act.
JJAG Structure and Membership
The group consists of a minimum of 15 to 33 members that include the directors of juvenile justice agencies, prosecutors, public defenders, mental health professionals, community leaders, and most importantly, youth. Current members are listed below:
- Amoretta Morris, DCPS
- Arnolda Beaujuin, Attorney
- Bridgette Royster, JGA
- *Carmen Daughtery, Advocates for Justice and Education, Inc.
- Carolyn Dallas, Youth Court of DC
- Chelsey Rodgers, Attorney
- Daniel Okonkwo, DC Lawyers for Youth
- Dave Rosenthal, OAG
- Diamond Herring, Youth
- Fanny Barksdale, DC Superior Court/Court Social Services Division
- Gitana Stewart-Ponder, Office of Deputy Mayor of Public Safety and Justice
- Hilary Cairns, Department of Human Services
- Ileana Benitez, Youth
- Ivan Cloyd, Alliance of Concerned Men
- James Berry, Public Defender Service
- James Ballard III, Department of Mental Health
- Jamie Rodriquez, Public Defender Service
- Joel Braithwaite, Criminal Justice Coordinating Council
- Leroy Thorpe, Community Member
- Lisette Burton, Community Member
- Melissa Garcia, Youth
- Neil Stanley, Department of Youth Rehabilitation Services
- Patrice Sulton, Attorney
- Ram Uppuluri, Community Member
- Terri Odom, DC Superior Court/Court Social Services Division
- Tonya Pickett, Columbia Heights Shaw Collaborative
- Willie Dandridge, Metropolitan Police Department
- Zoe Bush, DC Superior Court
If you would like to find out more on JJAG, please contact the Justice Grants Administration staff.